How to make a song/poem cloze test for ESOL ESL or ESL studentsPosted: September 2, 2009
- find a song on youtube.com that your students might like
- to get the lyrics, write the name of the song lyrics into google.com
- Now you have the lyrics, copy and paste them into word. Make the font bigger and change it so it’s easy to read.
- Now delete some words that are easy to hear and easy to spell, replace them with a line ______
- Now delete some more difficult words that are still easy to hear. You should aim for about 15 depending on the song.
- Now you have them all, add numbers to the lines ___1___ ____2____ etc.
Example #1 – Amazing Grace – Traditional Song (answers at bottom) – This isn’t a great video
Amazing Grace, how sweet the ___1___
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am ___2___,
Was blind, but now I see.
It was Grace that ___3___my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first ____4___.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have ___5____ come;
It is Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me ___6___.
The Lord has ____7____ good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as ____8___endures.
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a __ 9_____like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was___10___, but now I see.
Example #2 – Stop all the Clocks – W.H. Auden (answers at bottom)
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy ___1___,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners ___2___.
Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is ___3___,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton ___4___.
He was my North, my South, my East and ___5___,
My working week and my Sunday ___6___,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my ___7___;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was ___8____.
The stars are not wanted now: put out every ___9____;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the __10__;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the __11__.
For nothing now can ever come to any __12__.
1. sound 2. found 3. taught 4. believed 5. already 6. home 7. promised 8. life 9. wretch 10. blind
Stop all the clocks
1. bone 2. come 3. dead 4. gloves 5. west 6. rest 7. song 8. wrong 9. one 10. son 11. would 12. good