IELTS and TOEFL: How to use sample written essay answers…Posted: November 11, 2016
You have a book full of sample essay answers.
What do you DO WITH THEM?
Sample essays show you how to write good academic English and give you examples of structure, vocabulary and grammatical structures.
Here are some activities you can do with sample essays and sample answers
- Answer the essay questions before you look at the sample answers. Then compare your answer to the sample. Ask yourself these questions:
- How did both essays answer the question? What examples did you use? What examples did the sample answer use?
- What words and expressions did the essays use? Are there any expressions that sample answer used that you could steal?
- How did both answers use paragraphs? Was the sample answer more effective than yours?
- What grammatical structures did the answer use? Were they better than yours? How?
- Highlight the grammar structures or sentences that you like and learn these.
- Cut up the essay into sections and rearrange it.
- Read the essay out loud and record yourself on your mobile phone. Listen back to yourself (great for speaking practise and will help you memorise chunks of language that you know sound good).
- Read the sample answer with your study partner and then TALK about it!
There are sample essays all over the web.
Here are some from DC IELTS http://www.dcielts.com/ielts-essays/sample-ielts-essays/
Some from IELTS Liz http://ieltsliz.com/100-ielts-essay-questions/
For lots more help with your IELTS writing, check out Richard L King’s Teach yourself IELTS writing here: